Friday, February 18, 2005

"Meme meme meme!" she sang, ignoring the tomatoes

Prompted by pal Badger, I answer the following thoughtful questions:
1. Song that sounds like happy feels
I would pick "Pump It Up" by Elvis Costello or "Got to Get You Into My Life" by the Beatles, except that would be plagiarism, because I got the idea from Badger. So I'll say it's "That's Neat, That's Nice" by NRBQ.

2. Earliest memory
Of pop music--that would be the time a babysitter gave us a copy of Meet the Beatles. I was about six. Or a Ray Charles album my parents had. It was Ray Charles does the Twist, and there were these diagrams on the back cover of feet, showing you how to do the twist. (Yes, I realize it should be Chubby Checker, but it was Ray. And yes, I also realize I'm old.)

3. Last CD you bought
Classical? The Spectacular Voice of Marilyn Horne: Rossini Heroes and Heroines. Pop? I have no idea. Although I have downloaded a few songs from iTunes. But you wanted albums.

4. Reminds you of school
The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack reminds me of college. Thank heavens so does Talking Heads: 77.

5. Total music files on your PC
About 20 gigs' worth, but they're mostly my huzbin's. I have about 4 gigs' worth on my laptop because I just keep listening to the same cheesey crappe over and over. Listen, I invented the iPod mini--I have an iPod and it's nowhere near full and I put it on shuffle and just listen to it. Note to the people at Apple: this is not brain surgery, and it doesn't require a separate piece of hardware.

6. Song for listening to repeatedly when depressed
Cheesey disco crappe from the 1970s and 80s. Rick James, for example, makes even doing dishes kind of fun. He was such a sex maniac--how could I not love him? And I'm such a sex maniac--how could I not be cheered up by stuff that raunchy?

7. Song That Sounds British But Isn't
Anything by the Byrds. Or Buffalo Springfield. (Hey, I already admitted I'm old, 'k?)

8. Song you love, band you hate
"S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night" by the Bay City Rollers. The remake on the So I Married an Axe Murderer soundtrack floats my boat.

9. A favorite song from the past that took ages to track down
"How About You?" by the New Grass Revival. They were only available on vinyl for way too long. Thank heavens for Limewire.

10. Bought the album for one good song
"Keep on Movin'" by Soul 2 Soul. The version on the CD wasn't the same as the one on the video, which pissed me off to no end.

11. Worst song to get stuck in your head
Anything by the Eagles, with a special shout out to "Hotel California."

12. Best song to dump a beer on someone's head to, then storm out of the bar
"Stand By Your Man." Of course, it goes without saying that the beer dumpee needs to be a man with a strong sense of irony.

12. Who should do this next
Joke

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.