Sunday, September 11, 2005

Listmania: Books


The Bible
Originally uploaded by Trilby.
Copied from Joke:

Number of books I have owned:
Easily into the thousands. And even though I purge and purge, I still own way too many. I have a lot of bookshelves: three in my bedroom, five in my study, one in the kitchen, one in the living room, and the overload is housed in seven bookshelves in the basement "rec room."

Last book I bought:There were five, all from Bookman's Alley in Evanston, IL--the kind of used bookstore that would leave Joke breathless with adoration:

The American Weekend Garden, by Patricia Thorpe
The New England Yankee Cook Book
Heirloom Gardens, by Mimi Luebbermann
Social Usage and Etiquette: A Book of Manners for Every Day Use, by Eleanor B. Clapp (1904)
Harriet Hubbard Ayer's Book: A Complete and Authentic Treatise on the Laws of Health and Beauty (19th century edition, reprinted in 1974)

Last book I completed:
The Personality of a House, by Emily Post

Five books that mean a lot to me: (in no order)
1. The Unexpurgated Code, by J. P. Donleavy
2. An Old-Fashioned Girl, by Louisa May Alcott
3. The Philosopher's Diet by Richard A. Watson
4. Etiquette: The Blue Book of Social Usage, by Emily Post
5. The Official Preppy Handbook

What are you currently reading?
1. Nesting: It's a Chick Thing, by Ame Mahler Beanland and Emily Miles Terry
2. The Complete Home: An Encyclopedia of Domestic Life and Affairs, by Julia McNair Wright
3. The American Weekend Garden by Patricia Thorpe
4. Three Men in a Boat, To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Jerome K. Jerome
5. The Luck of the Bodkins, by P. G. Wodehouse

To which 5 bloggers are you passing this on?
Fiddledeedee, Jasmine, Jujube, Susie Sunshine, and Badger--if she hasn't already done it.
--P.

1 comment:

  1. Like the list! This reminds me of when I had time to read... Oh to have that time back...

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.