Thursday, February 09, 2006

Everyone Says "I Love You"

Today I sat around like a lump. Didn't do much of anything for the house. For most of the day, I was way depressed.

Actually, I read a lot of blogs.

I guess I've whacked enough pointless enervating extra stuff out of my life. And that means that I don't have to run around like a crazy woman all the time. And that means that occasionally I'm stymied because nothing jumps out at me for me to do it. You know how it is when there are no deadlines ... who cares whether the beds are made? Except that for some of us, being left on our own is a slippery slope. If you don't have a plan, and you start out feeling "meh" at 9:00 in the morning , the chances are later in the afternoon you'll still be feeling "meh" and the beds still won't be made.

But when I picked up the kids at school ... it cheered me up completely. I was so glad to see my children, I could have embarrassed them beyond belief by hugging them and kissing them in front of everyone.

Maybe this feeling is standard operating procedure for most mothers. But confession time--many times picking up my kids mostly kickstarts that whole "get-home do-homework cook-dinner take-baths get-kids-to-bed do-this-do-that, hey! You over there! Quit slacking off" mentality.

But now--well, I suppose I actually have free time. Now that's a scary thought ... because I guess it means this is the life I have chosen for myself. I've dumped graduate school, cut way back on the volunteer stuff. What's left? Some music, some working out, my friends, and most of all, my family. That's it.

I have time to enjoy my children.

And speaking of family--I finally talked to That Stud Muffin I Married tonight. He's been working his tail off lately and hasn't been home much. We were on the phone for 45 minutes. We had missed each other a lot.

Tuesday was the 20th anniversary of our first date. He gave me a lovely gold pin ... he's such a sweetie.

So even though he doesn't have time to enjoy me, I enjoy him--when I can (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)

I'm rambling. But--because we've been watching a lot of Marx Brothers movies lately, I'll conclude with Groucho's sage words:
Take a pair of rabbits who
Get stuck on each other and begin to woo
And pretty soon you'll have about a million rabbits who
Say "I love you."
And that's a good thing, Groucho.

1 comment:

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.