Wednesday, February 13, 2008

How to cheer up from a big-ass case of the winter blues

OK, here's the deal:

1. I'm sick.
2. I'm in pain, having done something bad to my lower back muscles while shoveling snow yesterday.
3. Chicago has had over 40 inches of snow this winter
4. which seems endless.
5. My daughter has not said a cheerful word in the past four days, except when she's trying to get me to give her permission to get her ears pierced.
6. I had to dis-invite two couples for a dinner party I'd been planning to have on Saturday night because most people couldn't come
7. because I'm a numb-nuts who forgot all about Presidents' Day Weekend.
8. Valentine's Day is tomorrow and I have nothing for my children to bring to school
9. or to give to Mr. Buxom.

and most important of all:

10. My laptop was pronounced DOA yesterday.

And so, I decided that Mr. Buxom was going to buy me a new laptop for Valentine's Day.

And so, I went over to Amazon.

And bought this:

1 "Apple MacBook MB062LL/B 13.3" Laptop (2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, 8x SuperDrive) White"
Personal Computers; $1,299.00

1 "AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook/iBook MA519LL/A 3 Years"
Software; $199.99


Which is his Valentine's Day gift for me.

And this part? Is my Valentine's gift to him:

Subtotal of Items: $1,498.99
Shipping & Handling: $21.86
Super Saver Discount -$21.86
------
Total: $1,498.99
Gift Certificates/Cards: - $1,025.00
------
Total for this Order: $473.99

13 comments:

  1. Oooh, and I was just hoping for chocolate with almonds. Methinks I don't set my sights high enough.

    And welcome to the teenage girl years - it's a helluva ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you come up with $1,000 in gift cards?

    I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Miss Britt -- $1k in gift cards? That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, I think you were SUPPOSED TO SEND THOSE GIFT CARDS TO ME.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delurking because I'm dumbfounded! Do tell, how on EARTH did you come up with that much in gift certs/cards????!!! Share the secret!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, obviously, your present to him was much more expensive than his to you ($1025 > $473.99), so you need to add a really beautiful laptop case to go with it.

    Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ree, I am being REALLY NICE and keeping my old laptop bag EVEN THOUGH I spotted a really cute one that has a POPPY on it.

    My middle name is Selfless.

    Everyone else: this is the secret of the gift cards: we have an Amazon.com credit card. You get a gift card for every thousand dollars you spend. We use it for everything--oil bill, car repairs, opera tickets, TRAVEL, etc. And we buy everything from Amazon or use Amazon as our portal.

    I had $300 or so in certificates last time I did this--I bought the dooce camera--the Nikon DS70 from Amazon.

    Not that you'd notice from the cell phone pictures I upload. But still.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your generosity with your husband is inspiring. I'll keep that in mind. My poor husband is only getting some dark chocolate macadamia nuts.

    I'll swap girls with you for a bit, if you'd like. You can have my 9 y.o., who is weepy and premenstrual, even though she's nowhere near actually menstruating. I may give her Valium for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, my envy is huge. That is a most excellent Valentine's, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It occurs to me that 90% of the computer complaints I read about online have to do with Apple computers. And yet you people with the wonky Apples KEEP BUYING THEM.

    You know the definition of insanity, right? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

    I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooo, that's exactly the computer I have and LOVE. And if something does go wrong, you can always take it back to one of the wonky Apple Geniuses.

    I consulted one in Boulder and he was one of these 400 pound, scraggly bearded 185 IQ types. Fortunately, the Utopibrook guys are less frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Badger: Listen, miss smarty. The laptop that died last week was an HP running Windows 98.

    It was 18 months old and had a broken hinge, so it wouldn't close completely, and the wireless card died, so I had to use an external one, which cost $135. And now the hard drive is dead.

    So you see, while I have been known to kill Macintosh laptops (three or four at last count) I am also quite capable of destroying Windows computers.

    I am nothing if not versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poppy = smart
    Kim = stupid
    For inthis house it is all ranting and raving about the Stupid Valentine's Day. That it's just commercial ploy to make us all go and spend more money we don't have.

    It didn't occur to me I could have got a new computer out of it.


    And Poppy, that's not versatility, that's just plain scary. If I've told you once I've told you a thousand times, the laptop is not to be used as the step in your continual homage to the 80s aerobic phenomenon that was The Step Class.

    Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.