Monday, June 08, 2009

Hey internet! Is this short enough for you?

The New York Times just ran an article on how people are abandoning their blogs in droves, partly because no one is reading them.

And then there's Nancy Sun, who started blogging in 1999. In 2001 she won a SXSW award for best on-line journal. She stopped blogging in 2004 (the year I started) because she'd become too well-known. Like stalker-y well-known.

Now she's starting up again, but with a difference. Sun's earlier blog posts were "long and artful" but, in her new blog, she keeps things much shorter.

"The Internet is different now,” she said over a cup of tea in Midtown. “I was too Web 1.0. You want to be anonymous, you want to write, like, long entries, and no one wants to read that stuff.”


So that's my problem! I'm too anonymous! Too long-winded! Too Web 1.0!

But I'm also too damned old to change my ways.

Sun started blogging when she was 16, won her SXSW award when she was 18, and stopped blogging right about when she attained her legal majority. At the age of 26, she's starting a new blog and changing her style. Bully for her.

I don't want to disappoint you guys, but I have no plans to change the way I write. You'll just have to put your granny pants on and deal with it.

9 comments:

  1. Dude. I'm with you. I have been bringing the verbosity since 2004 and I'm not about to stop now. (And no, you may NOT steal that line.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Web 1.0 you say?
    Geezer or not, I'm still reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe nobody's reading HER, but they are sure reading you, honeybee.

    Keep it up.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what I hear you saying is that this SUN chick thought she was too cool for school, stopped writing, likely thought she'd be missed, so now she's back all "that's totally web 1.0" mockey like and we're supposed to care?

    I'm also too old and too tired to learn new shit. We'll just be complacent together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is it that I've only been blogging one year and am totally Web 1.0? Wow...I guess I really am an old soul. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Granny pants at the ready, awaiting your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring on the tomes! Personally, I'm much less likely to click on a blog regularly if all I get for my uploading trouble is a coupla sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like creating a phenomena out of three people, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and me (and Badger), we's old skool.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.