Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Atlantic Ocean, Lake Michigan, and the Red Sea

We made it. I didn't post about it last night because my DSL was acting up. (Pause, then add in Martin Short-as-Ed Grimley-voice) "Isn't that always the way?"

But we actually drove from New Castle, NH--an actual island in the Atlantic Ocean--to Arcadia, Illinois--on the shores of Lake Michigan--in one day. We left NH at 5:00 a.m., (4:00 a.m. Central Time) and arrived in Arcadia at 9:30 p.m., after dropping the boy off at his slumber party in nearby Newtopia. A total of seventeen and a half hours of driving, not counting very, very brief stops to refuel us and/or the car.

And it wasn't that bad. The kids were actually amazingly well-behaved. The driving wasn't that bad. We didn't hit any traffic and we experienced a bare minimum of road construction.

I am so totally impressed with my husband. All those remarks about him being completely insane or on crack? Just hot air. He is a genius.

And in other news, I'm not PMSing any more.

--P.

1 comment:

  1. I'm relieved to hear you're still alive. That's a heck of a drive. Hmm, perhaps I should make this entire comment rhyme? Oh look, I messed it up already. Nevermind.

    The longest drive I ever made with my kids was from Jackson, Tennesee to Austin, Texas in one day. And that was with a 2 or 3 hour stop at Graceland on the way. I think we left around 9 a.m. and got in around 3 a.m. or so. I still get a twitch in my left eye when I think about it, but then my kids were 2 and 3.5 at the time so you can imagine just how fun it was.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.