Wednesday, March 03, 2010

30 Days to 10 years younger--10 minute tips. Tip 2: Update your eyebrows

Nothing updates and refreshes your face quicker and more thoroughly than a good eyebrow reshaping. Unfortunately, eyebrows are an area where Boomers are sometimes a bit clueless. After all, many of us came to age during a dark age for eyebrows. (Literally. Scroll down and check out the pictures.)

Women who came of age in the 1990s and 2000s have a sort of automatic eyebrow savvy that leaves me feeling envious. I mean, they get to be a lot younger and they're all hip to the waxing, tweezing, brow color, brow gel thing? It hardly seems fair.

But here's the crucial point. Women in their 20s and 30s wouldn't dream of letting their eyebrows go au naturel. And that means we shouldn't either.

Show me an eyebrow, and I'll tell you which decade it was from. Do you want the wrong decade waggling over your eyes? Of course not. Scroll down for a brief history of the female eyebrow, from the 1920s to the present:




And just as we come full circle with the penciled-on Dietrich brow, the pendulum swings and thicker, more dramatic brows come back into style.


What decade are your brows? (Please don't say the 1970s. Or 1980s.) Remember, if Joan Crawford could update her eyebrows,


and she did


You can, too!

Joan? Groucho Marx called. He wants his eyebrows back.

For complete instructions on how to pluck your eyebrows, see About.com's article here.

For more on current brow shapes and what not to do, check out Brow Magic by my latest blog discovery, The Underfunded Heiress.

6 comments:

  1. Are the Twiggy eyebrows bad? I think that's what I have. But with less of an arch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I like the Twiggy eyebrows. I actually think they're the most classic pair there; they're neat, groomed, and natural looking.

    And of course, everything depends on what nature gave you in the way of eyebrows. I find that women with amazing eyebrows (Liz Hurley, Madonna, Megan Fox) actually have incredibly heavy brows when they're not tamed. Like uni-brow levels.

    I don't have that much eyebrow to begin with, so I can't tame them into an incredible work of art. On the other hand, I don't have to carry tweezers with me everywhere I go, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I inherited my father's mostly invisible eyebrows. It's sad, really. And I am so pale, they look really weird when I accentuate them. *sigh* I guess I need help with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously a post about eyebrow makeup is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I naturally have Brooke Shields circa 1982 eyebrows. Which is lucky I guess - I have a lot to work with. I've been using Melina Kanakaredes as my brow model since she was on As the World Turns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I get all this postings for free! It is so much fun reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.