Saturday, January 09, 2016

Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint SPF 20 Oil Free and Urban Decay Anti-Aging Primer Potion: Sample Saturdays Capsule Reviews

This is a series in which, in an attempt to work my way through my sample overload, I spend the weekend trying out samples, then inflict capsule reviews upon the internet.


Image courtesy of the Jouer website




Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint SPF 20 Oil Free


When I first tried this, I thought it was a Korean BB creme, because for a while, I was drowning in samples of Dr. Jart and the like. And as with many a Korean BB creme, I wasn't delighted with the shade. Although this stuff didn't have the Silly-Putty look of a lot of them--you know that pinky-gray shade they have? No? Just me? OK, then.

Anyway, I was wrong, wrong, wrong. Turns out Jouer is an American line, made in the U.S. and there are many shades to select from, should you actually go to a store and, you know, buy some. Althought if you're a woman of color, you're out of luck.

My tiny tube is Golden, which might explain why I found it strangely yellow and a bit too dark. When I applied it, I felt like I was watching a YouTube video where the beauty guru is troweling some crazy wrong-color too-dark foundation all over her face ... I was ready to shout "Go back! You're going the wrong way!"

So ... not a BB creme, but a tinted moisturizer, in a tint that doesn't work for me. And of course, with not much coverage. Also, oil-free, which isn't my favorite, being how I am of the dry skin persuasion.

Still, I don't think it's a crap product, and if you are looking for a tinted moisturizer, it might work for you.

At 1.7 oz. for $40, my tiny sample size is worth $1.64, so it is without a shred of guilt that I'm tossing it.

Verdict: Lovely for somebody else.

Image courtesy of Urban Decay

Urban Decay Anti-Aging Eyeshadow Primer Potion Long-Lasting Eyeshadow Base

(Whew. Long name. Did UD get bought out by Estee Lauder?)

I've tried a couple of UD Primer Potions because for a while there, you couldn't buy an UD palette without receiving a container of the original. I also tried their Sin Primer Potion, which is sparkly, and a big no, as far as I'm concerned.

This is a matte potion with some extra pigment to help disguise capillaries. It's OK, it's just that it's solving a problem I don't have. Because I have dry skin, my shadow doesn't crease. Neither does it disappear a couple of hours after I apply it. In fact, the original PP and other similar products (Benefit's and Too-Faced) tend to reach out, grab my shadow, and hold it in a death grip, making it hard to blend. This doesn't do that, so I'm guessing it's a slightly creamier formula.

At the end of the day, my soft cut-crease was still there, but my liner and the crazy-ass glitter and pink sparkles had faded. (Then again, I have no business wearing crazy-ass glitter or pink sparkles, so maybe that's good.)

I tried it a second time, mixed half-and-half with eye cream. This was more successful, but I'd still consider it an extra and unnecessary step.

At $24 for .33 oz., my foil packet is worth a tall Pumpkin Spice Latte. Maybe.

Verdict: While I wouldn't actually purchase this, as it is designed to solve a problem I don't have, my experience with it does at least prompt me to toss my Benefit Lemon-Up and Too-Faced Shadow Insurance eye shadows for being annoying.

1 comment:

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.