Thursday, March 02, 2023

"I can have my Gucci on ..."

Or not, as the case may be. Today I'm indulging myself, because honestly, my eyes just about bugged out of my head when I spotted the following. And my inner amateur fashion historian couldn't rest until I shared it. 

While trawling the T. J. Maxx website, I spotted this Dalia McPhee dress, 

and it's such a knock-off of Gucci's iconic "Flora" design that I can't decide whether to giggle or be  breathless with adoration, like the nun in Wordsworth's sonnet. I mean, it's just so brazen!

Onwards to fashion history. Designed by Vittorio Accornero in 1966 for Princess Grace of Monaco, Gucci's "Flora" scarf became a best seller, available in any number of color ways.


Behold a fashion icon!


 It was reissued in 2002 and has since appeared on scarves, 

alone, or in combination with other iconic Gucci motifs,

ready-to-wear, 


leather goods, 

"Flora" + iconic bamboo handle


"Flora" and iconic "Jackie" hobo bag

and fragrances


And now for the low, low, price of $59.99, you can pick it up at T. J. Maxx. Or at least ... something very like it. 























4 comments:

  1. There is an awful lot of copying out there in the fashion world! Good spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! I'm still wondering whether I find it amusing or appalling. I suppose as long as it doesn't say "Gucci" it can be considered homage. And it's not as horrible as some of the fake Louis Vuitton stuff I've spotted over the years. Unless it's made out of some horrible double-knit polyester, in which case, all bets are off.

      And no, I am NOT going to order it! :D

      Delete
  2. I've been looking for your updated blog for awhile now and so delightful to have finally found it! Especially since Looks Good From the Back has stepped away, it's been a bleak landscape out here. Thrilled to have found you - wit and insight with panache - can't wait to tuck into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's nice to be back. I guess blogging is old enough to be retro, like so many of my favorite things. XD

      Delete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.