Wednesday, February 08, 2023

It. Is. Finished.

Bless me, invisible internet friends! It's been a year since my last confession.

So let's talk about MY HAIR.

So, a couple of months ago I got a haircut and the last of the dyed stuff was chopped off. 

Not that anyone is keeping track (Lord knows, I can't be bothered, or if I am, I'm not bothered enough to actually blog about it--um, except that's actually what I'm doing right now) but growing out my dye took something like two and a half years, and my hair is still pretty much shoulder length. I can pull it into a ponytail, although I have a few shorter pieces in the front that pretty much drive me crazy when I do that. 

It's a lot less frizzy than it was when it was dyed, highlighted, and low lighted. This makes sense when you see how much gray I actually have. That was a LOT of gray to cover.



The ends have a tendency to look so blunt that I'm sort of a walking paintbrush--if you know what I mean. And there are these frizzy sections at my temples that I suspect are my hair changing texture as it begins to fall out. You can see that in this picture:




The irony of enduring YEARS of growing out color only to start believing that I'm going BALD is not lost on me, I assure you. 

Can one of those alien-inspired LED caps be in my future? Minoxidil? Stay tuned. Meantime, I'm trying to remember to take my hair/skin/nails Biotin gummies.

OK, nobody is going to look at this picture and think I'm going bald. This is right after blowing it out with one of those Revlon hot brushes and then using giant Conair hot rollers to bend the ends under to reduce the paintbrush effect.



And here I am, checking it out by lamplight, and it looks incredibly silvery. 

So, as to the results? I like it. And I REALLY like not having to baby it. I spent a lot of time in a chlorine pool last summer for the first time in years and years because I wasn't afraid of drying it out and ending up with a haystack on my head.

I also get a lot of compliments. And when I think of how much money I used to spend at the salon ... honestly, I could start collecting antique quilts or rare orchids and I'd still come out ahead.

So, if you want to devote two and a half years to a project, think about growing out your dyed hair. Especially if you're going through a pandemic and aren't going anywhere or seeing anyone. Because the awkward stage was pretty awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.