Saturday, September 20, 2008

Apparently, the call of my Mr. Rogers cardigan and sneakers was just too strong.

I feel old fartdom creeping up on me like mildew on a shower curtain. And this is why.

We went to a friend's 50th birthday party tonight. It was fun--lots of nibbles, lots of wine, tons of people packed into their apartment. Huge cake the size of a garbage can cover covered with candles.

Well, the party started at 6:00 and we got there around 6:30. And at one point, after we'd been at the party for a while, I found myself looking at my watch to see how we were doing. And it was only 8:30.

We had a babysitter and had told her we were planning on leaving the party at 10:00, which would get us home at 11:00.

But I found myself thinking--would it really make a difference to the success of this party if we stayed until 10:00? Not really. Not with 100 people in the apartment.

So I asked my husband what he thought about leaving at 9:00. He thought that would be fine.

And then I thought, why wait until 9:00? Why not leave now? Get an early start on the drive home? Get out of the party clothes and into something comfy?

People, this may have been our friend's 50th birthday party, but I swear, I feel old fartdom creeping up on me.

My only consolation was that we didn't ride down the elevator by ourselves. Other couples were also pooping out.

What's next? Pin the tail on the wheelchair?

5 comments:

  1. You might want to take the stairs next time, just to give those old bones some exercise.

    I've been realizing the same thing myself, when I hear myself asking the teens, "But why do you want to stay out until midnight? Won't you get tired?" My Lord, they have so much energy, they don't even know from tired. While I've spent the last 16 years trying to get enough sleep.

    I used to have that energy - I think they stole it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think about the parties where we stayed up until dawn, I'm amazed. Now, parties start and end early and I'm excited to get home and put on my pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait--are you saying you didn't even stay for cake?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember the last time I was out and about after 10 pm.

    Heck, I can barely remember the last time I was not in bed by 10:30. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always high-fiving Mr. D when we make it home by ten on a night out. A good night is everyone in bed by 8:30 and lights out by 9:30 after we've had time to read and watch a little TV. We are sad, sad people.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.