Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Poppy's Pyramid Scheme, or, when will that chocolate rabbit finally show up?

Today is Ash Wednesday for people in the Western church. So beginning today, I give stuff up.

This is not about self-improvement. Not totally. And it's not 100 percent religious. It's kind of a combination of both. 

Because mindfulness is everything. And there is nothing like making a vow to make me mindful about every bit of food that goes into my mouth. It's like getting married, only for forty days instead of as long as you both may live. 

Yikes, this sounds completely disrespectful, and honestly, I'm not. But anyone who has ever gone on a diet realizes how you become super-conscious of what you eat, and since I (hopefully) eat several times a day, a Lenten vow provides me with several opportunities to keep myself on track and empathize with people who are truly fasting and not (spoiler alert) just giving up alcohol and sweets until Easter.*

So here is Poppy's current food pyramid, done in fonts because I have no graphic abilities whatsoever:

alcohol

candy, desserts

refined carbohydrates

Meat, eggs, dairy, tofu, nuts 

whole grains, fruits, and vegetables

And until Easter, the top two layers of the pyramid are going to be missing. 

Kind of like the Sphinx's nose.

This means when I really want to party, it’s going to be with a serving of white bread or spaghetti. WOO HOO. I plan to celebrate Easter with a plateful of toast! 

* Bolded because that's finally the point of all this nattering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.