Monday, March 06, 2023

“I can have my Gucci on ….” Part Two, Electric Boogaloo

PEOPLE. Shit’s getting real with the Gucci "Flora" knockoffs. 

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I just posted about it here. For a quick refresher, here is a sample of Gucci's iconic "Flora" print:

Available here for $495, thank you very much.

If I remember correctly, the original scarf uses 32 different colors, which is 32 times to mess up the silk-screening process. Let's just take a moment to appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship, OK? You may or may not be a scarf person, but I assure you, this thing is exquisite.

So of course, knock offs happen.

And I mean, I get it. Preppy clothing companies have a long history of copying higher-end brands. J. Mclaughlin produces Hermes-scarf-like prints in their "Catalina Cloth" for their (amazing) travel-friendly line of blouses and dresses; Ralph Lauren slaps an Hermes-ish equestrian motif on pretty much everything ... even Lands End and Brooks Brothers have been known to ape their betters. 

This time, it’s the Talbot’s Spring 2023 catalog. 

And it's just unreal! Behold:

Cotton/Spandex Relaxed Chino Shorts $74.50


Cotton/spandex Relaxed Chinos, $98.50


 Cotton/rayon "Vivid Botanical set: Cardigan $89, Shell, $69


  
Cotton crew neck sweatshirt, $89.50   





  

What's next? Matching Keds? A Le Sports Sac backpack? It seems inevitable at this point. 

But just think, if you really, really love this print, you can clothe yourself from head to toe in it for less than what you'd pay for a single scarf. 

I don't really approve, but I admit, I'm a little tempted by the chinos. You know, for funsies. 

But don't even get me started on those knock-off Hermes Oran sandals.

3 comments:

  1. I find designer scarves in the thrift bins for so cheap - it's like people don't understand how much work goes into that square of silk! I am not a fan of the Talbots' offerings - they remind me of gardening clothes, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! I know what you mean about finding scarves for cheap. My all-time best score was a Gucci scarf for twenty-five cents! As for the Gucci-inspired Talbots stuff, I get it ... it's just that I have a bizarre attraction to clown pants. (Maybe because I'm far less likely to spill food on them than my blouses and scarves.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fellow "clown pants" lover, I totally get that, Poppy! I need to clean up my scarves and display them properly...

      Delete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.