Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Nobody asked, but I'm answering anyway

The latest questions from Karen's latest Monday poll at Makeup and Beauty Blog:

Available at Cutely Covered for $55

1. Bucket hat or fedora?

Fedora for sure. But only in the fall/winter, and only if you really need to stay warm or keep the sun out of your eyes. The felt ones skew a little costume-y, a bit film noir, a bit Annie Hall.

The colored one above is a different matter, but it's not for the faint of heart. It's a look!

I kind of don't understand the point of bucket hats unless they have a very wide brim. Otherwise I get "tennis hat circa 1965." They're definitely a fashion thing at the moment, but mostly I get a feeling that he

Essential off-white cotton blend hat, available here for $45.00

is not happy, if only because he's going to end up with a major case of hat head. Also, $45.00? For a cotton hat?? COME ON.

2. What’s the longest you’ve been at sea?


I've been on three cruises, so if we're talking days at sea, as opposed to just being on a cruise ship, I suppose the passage from New York to Bermuda. I love it. I don't get seasick, and it's like going to a resort--I spend the whole time working out, getting treatments, walking around the deck, and reading. The process of getting on board the ship is both exhausting and nerve-wracking, but once you're on board, they take care of you. (Of course, this all happened pre-Covid.)

3. Bright magenta eyeshadow with black winged liner — yes or no?


Sure! On someone else. I can't even manage winged eyeliner, let alone combined with wild eyeshadow colors.


4. Something you’re looking forward to in April?


An end to the most current Chicago winter and two trips: the first to L.A., and the second to New York.


5. A scent that means something to you?


Don't they all? I mean, the ones we love. Scent memories are so evocative.


I guess for perfumes it would be Scherrer by Jean Louis Scherrer, a chypre that I started wearing in the 1980s and is strongly associated with the time I've spent with my husband.


In nature, it would be climbing out of the car after the long drive to New Hampshire and smelling the pine trees.


6. Whatcha wearing on your nails?


Shockingly enough, they are naked as jaybirds. I KNOW--where's my self-respect?


7. What’s one thing you can do today to set yourself up for a good Tuesday?


Well, this was a Monday post, after all, so I'm getting to it late. But since I'm flying to L.A. on Wednesday, I'd say do laundry, pack, and get enough sleep.


8. Do you enjoy spring?


Yes, yes, yes! When it finally arrives, it is beautiful. I love going to walks and admiring my neighbors' landscaping (mine is nothing to write home about, and in fact, is probably lowering property values on the entire block.)






9. Motorcycle jacket or trench coat?


Trench coat! I'm more Bogie than Brando.

And that's what I call a nice fedora. 


2 comments:

  1. I like these questions, so I'll give it a go!
    1. Fedora, although if I find a cute Adidas bucket hat, I might be tempted. They are tricky to fit right. I agree on the costume-y look of fedoras, but I love mine - they didn't really get much wear this year, though.
    2. I've never been on any kind of cruise, so the longest was the time the 1 hr 35 minute ferry between Vancouver Island and the Mainland of BC stopped in the strait and circled for 3 extra hours (they thought someone had jumped overboard).
    3. Yes, although winged eyeliner is a pain to apply and always rubs off on me.
    4. My trip to Vancouver, woo! Leaving this week!
    5. Scents aren't something that I pay a lot of attention to - most of the things I notice take me back to childhood or teen years. I love the smell of cut grass...and gasoline (I live near a gas station).
    6. I also wear zip, nothing, nada on my nails. I keep 'em short and bare.
    7. Planning my outfit the night before always sets me up for a good day.
    8. I like spring, yes. Are there people who do not enjoy spring? Maybe allergy sufferers?
    9. Motorcycle jacket, for sure, every day! I don't hate trenchcoats, but they tend to swamp me.

    Thanks, that was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for playing! I envy your trip to Vancouver. It's supposed to be beautiful, and a fabulous place to grow roses. The Stanley Park rose garden is on my bucket list. Someday!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.