Friday, March 31, 2023

Seven things I can’t wait to go out of style

I flew into Los Angeles yesterday evening and spent today visiting my son, eating delicious food, shopping, visiting the Huntington Library and Botanic garden, and dining in Old Pasadena. I took lots of photographs, but somehow my laptop can't find them. 

So for today's post, a bit of a rant. These are things that have been around for a long time, and up until today, I've maintained a tactful silence about them. But three years of pandemic life have exhausted my patience, so I feel the urge to condemn the following:

Over-lined lips




This isn't fooling anyone. We can all see exactly where your upper lip ends. And bonus snark for all of that highlighter.

Heavy-handed bronzer




Oompa loompa doompety doo.

Glue-on acrylic fingernails

I'm not going to mention the underside of nails like these, and I hope you're not imagining it.

Popover blouses



Tell me you want to save labor costs without telling me you want to save labor costs. Then charge $168 for a shirt.

Cardigans without buttons


Again, cost-cutting disguised as fashion. This cardigan is 40 percent acrylic, doesn't button, is hideous, and yet, they expect me to spend $108 for it. 

Bumbags worn across the balcony




Of course, it wasn't difficult to find this look being modeled by a Kardashian. And while we're on the subject, 

Athleisure


I'm tired of everyone dressing like they're on their way to the gym. Even if I do it myself. Even if I'm jonesing for that puffer vest. 

Athleisure is the Starbucks skinny vanilla latte of style, and I'm over it. 





2 comments:

  1. Thank god I'm not the only one hating on these fashion trends. The cardigan in particular drives me mad. Saw someone online complaining because a cardigan dared to contain wool instead of cheap, crappy acrylic. Those bum bags are horrid, so tacky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Toula! I'm way too opinionated on even my best days, but fashion that flies in the face of function strikes me as particularly stupid--like high-heeled sneakers. A cardigan that doesn't button isn't that inherently idiotic, but it's up there. And the ruffly one pictured above wouldn't do anything for my balcony. Neither would adding a bumbag, so this whole thing might be deeply personal!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.