Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Is it too late for some Oscars outfit chitchat?

Being both elderly and out of it, I skipped the Oscars ceremony this year. I haven't seen any of the movies, and anyway, I almost never do live TV. But that doesn't mean I'm not highly invested in the red carpet looks, because of course I am!

First of all, big fan-girl squeeing over Michelle Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis winning Academy Awards for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress. 

I do think Jamie Lee could have used a darker lipstick. And not quite such a smoky eye. 

But how adorable are they?


And now, the Oscars a la Poppy.

1. For the best marketing of a live remake of a Disney animated classic, the winner is Halle Bailey


Obviously


2. For the best reminder that not so long ago, she played an over-the-top contract-killer-hiring jealous wife in House of Gucci, the winner is: Lady Gaga



Watch out for that waist. It could cut you.


3. For the best outfit by a guy you just know has a portrait in the attic getting creepy and wrinkly: Lenny Kravitz


Seriously. Dude doesn't age.


4. For the most jaw-dropping reminder that before she was an actress, she was a model, the award goes to: Cara Delevingne





5. For the best example of classic Hollywood glamor: Angela Bassett


I hope looking like a goddess is some consolation for not bringing home an award




6. And finally, for Best Legs: Nicole Kidman


Not her most iconic look, but she always does extremely well



Because if I had legs like that, I'd have shown up in shorts. 

2 comments:

  1. I am a big Oscars fan - I've been watching them faithfully since the early 80s. I used to attempt to see all the movies, but this year, I haven't seen any of them (I really want to see "Everything Everywhere...").

    I was cheering for Jamie Lee and Michelle as well. I thought their gowns were...okay. The colours were a little "meh" for my taste. I totally agree with your other assessments: yes, Gaga, Cara, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a ridiculous dearth of color this year. It's as if everyone wanted to blend into the beige carpet!

      Delete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.