Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why I still buy glittery eye makeup

After all my talk about neutral eyeshadows being best for women of a certain age, why do I have a stash of makeup worthy of a trannie hoarder?

I mean, how many shades of glitter eyeliner does a 53-year-old housewife really need?

Today's face included two: Urban Decay's Spandex (shades of blue) along the upper eyelashes and Distortion (white-ish holographic) along the lower eyelashes. Then there was the MAC shimmer eyeshadows in Crystal Avalanche (white with lots of shimmer) and Contrast (deep blue) and the white lipgloss with sparkles from a Sephora palette topped with another gloss with holographic glitter, this time from a Bratz tube.

Maybe you've figured it out. Today's face wasn't on me.

It was on my daughter, who decided to show her school spirit by decking herself out in school colors.

Right down to her fingernails and eyeshadow.

Me? I'm much more boring. I went to the MAC store on Oak Street in Chicago yesterday to pick up a few shades of eyeshadow for my 15-pan eye shadow palette. I even branched out beyond beige, so at the moment, I'm sporting about six shades of neutral / brown with a little tiny bit of shimmery olive green in the center of my eyelids. (But you have to look really closely to see it.)

Pay no attention to the grubby container full of dead plant on the left!

I think tomorrow I'll make a video about my new MAC eyeshadows. As well as show some of my favorite neutral eyeshadow quads. But it's going to take real skill to make my quads seem as fun as painted-on whiskers.

5 comments:

  1. Dammit,I got all excited over that title...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I was ready to pull out my glitter shades from the bottom of the cabinet , and all about to shout, "YES! I knew there was a reason I couldn't throw out the pearl white"

    ReplyDelete
  3. why do I have a stash of makeup worthy of a trannie hoarder?

    Transfolk tend to prefer neutrals, at least the ones who go out in public do, though younger ones do wear glitter for clubs/parties. It's the Drag Queens who hoard the shimmer.

    how many shades of glitter eyeliner does a 53-year-old housewife really need?

    You know the answer is "all of them".

    think tomorrow I'll make a video about my new MAC eyeshadows. As well as show some of my favorite neutral eyeshadow quads. But it's going to take real skill to make my quads seem as fun as painted-on whiskers.

    You need to lay them all out on a table and pan over them. Take your cues from those makeup maven's on youtube...and then satirize the heck out of them. They deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love neutrals for the eyes, but I must say I'm loving the new formulations with a sheen/shimmer really appeal to me. They aren't glittery, and I don't think they look bad on a more mature face. I've enjoyed playing with them, especially in the warmer months. I really like Stila's eyeshadows, they go on like silk. I'll have to try MAC...I love the idea of making a custom palette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...I just got some of Stila's "Kitten" and I really want to buy Benefit's "RSVP". Are these just too shimmery for a 40 year old? What about just wearing it very lightly on the base of your lids?

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.