Thursday, January 04, 2007

The 12 Days of Blogmas: Day 11

Have I mentioned that I've developed a thing for Jeremy Brett? He played Sherlock Holmes in the Granada (British) television adaptations. And I love him. I have Brett-amania. I want to scream and cry and throw tobacco at him. Or maybe cocaine. He IS Sherlock Holmes, as far as I'm concerned.

Can you believe I've never seen the Basil Rathbone movies?

Basil Rathbone

Which for many people, are definitive.

Sherlock Holmes

But there's something so Hollywood's golden age about the lighting and composition of the Rathbone stills I've seen. I like something that evokes the original stories.

Original illustration? Paget

And for me, Brett is it. He's AMAZING.

The thing is, he's so intense, he makes Holmes seem crazy. And that's what Holmes should be like, in my opinion.

A closeup of Holmes with his pipe

But attractively crazy, please.

pcg_sherlock_holmes_az_ezust_fulbevalo

Not to baldly egg-headed, please.

Holmes

And not like a maniacal store dummy.

holmes-www-see-it

And please God, no prequel Holmes who has just reached puberty.

DVD-Young-Sherlock-Holmes

I want him grown up. And suave as hell.

Sherlock Holmes looking fairly modern

That's better. Am I alone in my lust for Sherlock--especially as played by Jeremy Brett? I mean, the guy was a genius. He was also very modern.

Gene Wilder as Sherlock's Brother

Not that modern.

So ... there you have it. I'm in love with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. But I can't find a picture of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes smoking a pipe. Which means that your 12 pipers piping are ... only OK.

Even this quintessential, iconic Holmes ... doesn't do it for me the way Jeremy can.

silhouette

(We'll be up at the crack of dawn to drive back to Illinois. And just for you, I'll be looking for drummers at every rest stop.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.