Friday, January 29, 2016

Recommendations: these are my latest

Reads 


I have more than one book going at any given time, the choice of what to read depending on whether I'm on the elliptical, driving, or sitting on a chaise longue dipping languidly into a box of French chocolates.

Serving suggestion.


Oh, and I've already talked about these. Definitely in the chaise longue class.

my latest e-book

Don't worry; I'm not taking it seriously. It's mostly a giggle.

See?

my latest audiobook


If you like, you can listen to a sample.

my latest book to page idly through while sitting on a chaise longue


Hmm. Maybe this clashes with the chocolates.

TV fashion role models


Lucy Liu as Joan Watson in Elementary



Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity Smoak in Arrow




Kidding. I've never actually watched Downton Abbey.

Want to stalk Joan's wardrobe? Or maybe Cookie's from Empire? Have you discovered Worn On TV?

Instagram follows


h_e_r_s_t_o_r_y    Lots of gay men in my feed. This is mostly lesbians, because equal time, yo.

hostessofthehumblebungalow   You've read the blog, but have you gazed at her pictures?

YouTube subscriptions


KimberlyClark

My favorite drag queen beauty guru. OK, my only DQBG. I've already raved about her, but she is really smart about gender and consumerism and other things more vacuous beauty gurus don't talk about.

Last night, I heard her use the word "acumen." True story.

And Kimberly turned me on to





So smart. So pretty. I am in awe of her cats' eye glasses.

Movies




The Assassin, 2015. This will be Sunday afternoon at Doc Films in Chicago. Want to come?


Please tell me you've already seen Brooklyn.

Podcasts


Before anyone gets too excited at the sheer amounts of trendiness in this post, I should confess that I listen to podcasts to help me fall asleep.  



The Snailcast (a podcast about Korean skin care by four talented K-beauty bloggers.)



Vital Social Issues and Stuff My friend Jasmine and her friend Joy keep me up-to-date. For example, their 2015 wrap-up. Who remembered all those scandals from way back in March? So helpful.

 

Shoes


These J. Crew Factory d'Orsay flats are actually comfortable and not too pointy.

Also, no tacky toe cleavage! #winning


6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're back. I have really enjoyed your musings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It's great to be here. And good to see you, too!

      Delete
  2. Brooklyn is not here yet! I do want to see it .

    Love those shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it. Oh, those vintage clothes.

      Glad you like the shoes. They're actually wide enough to be comfortable, and the toe box is long enough--the pictures on the website were deceiving.

      Delete
  3. I loved a single man, and by that I mean I loved Juliana Moore's orchid strewn home and her pink cigarettes x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, you're reminding me of the catalogs my parents used to get from a tobacconist in New York that sold cigarettes with pastel paper and gold around the filter--I haven't thought about that in years!

    I'd better see that movie. Even though Tom Ford ... do I really want to feed this man's ego? Because I just know he's dying to know what I think of his directorial debut.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.