Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The one where she shows you her cheap Vitamin C serum

Vitamin C is one of a small group of topical skin treatments that have proven abilities to improve the skin. I don't mean "improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles" and that other ad copy MALARKEY* we've all been subjected to for years.

Vitamin C has powerful antioxidant properities and helps protect against sun damage. It also has a proven ability to fade two kinds of discoloration: freckles/age spots and post-inflammatory marks, like where you had a pimple.

I believe Skinceuticals' version was the first on the market.


It has L-ascorbic acid, vitamin E, and ferulic acid. Those last two ingredients help protect the serum from degrading in the presence of oxygen, which starts happening as soon as you open the bottle.

It comes in a one-ounce bottle and costs $166.

I use this cheap knockoff:



Seoul Ceuticals' version has a 20 percent Vitamin C solution, Vitamin E, ferulic acid, and hyaluoronic acid. It also comes in a one-ounce bottle, but it costs $16.99.

I get it from Amazon's subscribe-and-save program, so it actually costs me a little less.

At that price, I can use it twice a day--and do. And I apply it to my hands, neck, and decollate. I have even started applying it to my left calf, where I have some age spots freckles, as well as a little shark bite where my dermatologist cut a bit of skin cancer out of my leg. I'm hoping to fade all the AGE SPOTS and scars and in general, paint myself with so much Vitamin C that sunshine literally shoots out of each fingertip and I start singing old Anita Bryant Florida orange juice commercials.

*Two guesses whom I plan to vote for this November.

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU! My derm recommended the Skinceuticals one and it is great but I ration it because of the price!

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.