Thursday, May 14, 2020

The one where she uses up all her old moisturizers


Owning a second home is a luxury up there with owning a stable full of polo ponies, owning a fleet of antique cars, or collecting Birkins. OK, nothing I've ever owned approaches those items in sheer luxuriousness, but let's face it; no one needs more than one home. No matter how many times you use it, you aren't going to get your money's worth. And it will never stop costing money. 

So my husband and I sold our second home, which was wonderful and prudent of us, and THANK GOD, because with shelter-in-place still in effect, it would be even more of an extravagance now. 

Second homes are partly expensive through the sheer redundancy of it all. You end up buying sheets and towels and furniture and kitchen equipment--but you also end up outfitting your bathroom with your favorite products, because you don't want to have to pack this stuff every time you head there.

Accordingly, since we closed the sale last year, I have been using up bottles and jars of duplicate products. Sometimes I trash a jar and think "wow, I am hovering up a shit ton of products," but then I remember that they weren't full when I brought them home.

This process also gives me insight into what I've really liked, because I bought it for two locations. These are four old friends (with a new one added just to spice things up.)

I could have titled this post "Four Hits and a Miss," because one of these creams will never ever ever EVER be purchased again. It's like rubbing a Birkin on my face. And it does my skin about as much good.

1) For light moisturizing with a bit of sun screen action (my formula is SPF 25, which is not great, but better than 15 shown here.)

Estee Lauder DayWear SPF 25 $54/1.7 oz



2.) When my skin feels dry but I'm not going out into the sun. I use it under evening makeup and as a lighter version of a night cream.



This product is SO OLD, I remember seeing ads for it when I was in high school.



3.) For walks and working out and any time I'm not wearing makeup but am outside. Skin cancer is no joke.


4.) For going to bed and dreaming that I am the spoiled mother of a K-pop star, because how in the hell else did I EVER spend this much on a pot of face cream? Which does nothing special, by the way.



5.) Finally, a new-to-me product, courtesy of Lancome's Christmas's blockbuster. I use it day and night in the eye area. It's very light but hydrating, and it doesn't give me milia.


Except for the Neutrogena, these are all way more expensive than they should be.

And so, because I don't want the shades of my puritan ancestors to rise up howling imprecations, I am determined to use every bit of them. And then replace them with something much cheaper.

2 comments:

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.