Wednesday, March 08, 2023

How Dry I Am, Part Deux

If I were a French chef, I'd have a batterie de cuisine. Instead, I am an aging housewife, and I have a batterie de moisturizers

This is because in the Great Lakes region of the United States
 
Our motto, and don't you coastal elites forget it!

 
 
the temperature is variable, as is the humidity. Maddeningly so, if I may say so. So from day to day, my needs change. 
 
When I woke up this morning, my face felt so dry that the first thing I did was put on some Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. Mind you, I'm not in love with it or anything. I never actually buy it; it's just that there is some in every Clinique GWP, so I always seem to have some around. It's like the jar of capers in my refrigerator: never purchased, yet eternally present.

But let's talk about my current favorites, starting with bare skin. What's my latest regimen? Well, starting with the bottom layer:

The first serum--Vitamin C


This goes on first, morning and night. Vitamin C fades freckles, sun spots, and post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation (i.e., the red marks you're left with after you've had a pimple.) This formula contains hyaluronic acid, which is a humectant, so it pulls in any subsequently-applied moisturizer and holds it close, helping to plump up the skin. 


Cosmetic Skin Solutions Supreme Serum CE
1 oz. / 30 ml | $39.95

I also really like the texture; it's slightly thicker than the Vitamin C serums I used to use. They were essentially water plus ascorbic acid plus Vitamin E as a preservative, and were runny, and to be honest, not very cosmetically elegant. This stuff is less runny and easier to apply. And it feels so moisturizing that I sometimes forget that I haven't applied my moisturizer yet. 

Second serum


Currently on sale at Cult Beauty for $23.29/2.70 oz/80 ml. Run, don't walk!


After the Vitamin C serum has had a chance to soak in, I add a few pumps of Innisfree green tea serum. It doesn't have any active ingredients to speak of; it's just soothing moisture. And again, it has a nice consistency--not too watery.

Moisturizer with Sunscreen


During the day, Murad's Vitamin C moisturizer is wonderful. It's very silky and moisturizing while feeling light and comfortable on the skin. It works well under makeup, with no white cast, and it doesn't seem to clog my pores.
 
There's no horrible sunscreen smell--actually, it has a faint fresh citrus scent. Mind you, I don't run away screaming when a moisturizer contains fragrance, especially masking fragrance. I want my little grooming tasks to feel pleasurable, not like painting Killz over the mildew stains on a bathroom ceiling.


Murad Essential C Day Moisture SPF 30 $68.00/1.7 oz

I've found plenty of high SPF sunscreens at the drugstore for really sunny conditions, like the beach or the pool, but I've never found anything with a texture and fragrance that satisfies me for everyday wear under makeup. If you have dry skin and have found a brilliant drugstore moisturizer with an SPF of 30, let me know.

Moisturizer without Sunscreen


Here I really play the field, because let's face it; it's crowded. 
 

I really like the Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb and their Moisturizing Bomb, but they're expensive.
 
Thirty-eight dollars is a lot to pay for 1.67 oz/50 ml of cream.
 
Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentré is rich and elegant (and makes me feel rich and elegant when I apply it, because it's FRAWNSH.
Available here $29.00/2.54 oz

 

I also really like Sunday Riley's Good Genes to wear under makeup in the evening or to bed (since it's an AHA I try not to wear it during the day.)

I like it so much I pop for the jumbo size, $122.00/1.7 oz

I've been using it for years, and nothing can touch it for skin plumping/smoothing. I wish that weren't true, because Sunday Riley products are stupid expensive.
 

Top Coat


Just kidding, but it leaves my face almost as shiny as a freshly-manicured fingernail--good old Nivea creme.

$10.49 /13.5 oz/ 382 g




Finally something cheap! And a tin lasts forever and ever.












1 comment:

  1. I have used Oil of Olay with SPF15 since I was 17 years old (it was hard to find products with SPF back in the 80s!), only switching to their "old lady" line lately. That's pretty much all I use for a moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.