Friday, March 10, 2023

What I bought today, or, the wearing of more green

In my ongoing project of making life in these Great Lakes states more enjoyable, I've decided to be 100 percent Irish during the month of March. This may be considered cultural appropriation, but allow me to inform you that my mother's last name is Irish. 

OK, sure, it's the surname of an ancestor who emigrated to Virginia in the 17th century, so at this point, I am maybe two or four percent Irish. Actually, according to Ancestry.com, even less. But it's March, and I say it's time for the WEARING OF THE GREEN.

You see, I reasoned that people have a tendency to wear Christmas-friendly gear during the entire month of December. The day after (American) Thanksgiving, out come the ugly Christmas sweaters. For the jolly, organized people to wear, no doubt, while they are putting the lights up in your yard, while some slackers I could mention are still procrastinating. 

Anyway, over the years, I have amassed an astonishing amount of clothing that would qualify as Christmas-y in nature, from bright red dresses to the Black Watch plaid puffer vest I just bought. I even have some stuff I pretty much only wear around Halloween.

Why did I neglect St. Patrick's Month™ for so long? For the longest time, the only green in my wardrobe was a few eyeshadows and the border of a vintage Hermes scarf. When my kids started bugging me about wearing green for St. Patrick's Day, I'd haul out the scarf and wear something plaid with some green it and tell them that was quite enough of that, thank you. 

But at some point during the pandemic, I went a little crazy buying jackets from Zara, and purchased an emerald green tweedy number that I finally got around to wearing last Sunday. And all of a sudden, people were saying "Éirinn go Brách!" and I had a Road to Damascus moment. Eureka! Voila! It's time to GO GREEN! 

But with what? Some scrounging yielded only two pairs of ankle socks (although one pair has shamrocks!) 

But two pairs of socks and a jacket is paltry number of items to eke out during the entire month of March, which, if you hadn't noticed, I have declared to be St. Patrick's Month™. 

What to do? Unfortunately, a Bottega Veneta padded cassette bag in Parakeet was not in the budget

Available here for $4,500

 

 So I went over to Macy's and ordered three shirts:



Cece pintucked ruffled polyester blouse, $69

Charter Club cotton t-shirt, currently on sale for $19.99



Cece polyester button-up bow blouse, now on sale for $41.40


And then, adding these stunning Boston Bruins socks to my already existing selection of green cotton ankle socks, 

Polyester/cotton Boston Bruins (why didn't I get the Celtics, duh) socks, $19.99



I believe I am covered for all of the occasions likely to occur during St. Patrick's Month™.

Except for formal occasions, of course, where I suppose I'll just break out an emerald tiara.






2 comments:

  1. Oh, you are a Bruins fan! My husband is a HUGE fan (all the way up here in Canada). I love emerald green and usually remember to wear something green for St. Paddy's. That pussy-bow blouse is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm from Boston originally, and I never lost my love for my hometown teams, which is a little awkward since I've lived in Chicago for half my life, and Chicago is similarly sports-obsessed. Tell your husband I allow myself to cheer for the Blackhawks in certain circumstances, since they are an original six team of the NHL. The pussy-bow blouse is fun! It reminds me of stuff I wore in the 70s and 80s when everyone was a touch dressier and clothes had a certain unapologetic swagger. Or maybe like mid 2010s twee, I don't know. ;-) But it's a nice change from my normal button-ups.

    ReplyDelete

Gentle Readers:

For the time being, I have turned off comment moderation. Please don't spam; it's not nice.

xxx, Poppy.